I took a leap last fall and joined our kingdom’s Artisan Exchange. My recipient was a new member of the SCA, and I decided to make something fun for her — a wooden box decorated with marginalia. I ultimately ran out of time and didn’t get to add the whitework borders I’d intended, but I’m pretty happy with it otherwise. Painting and clean lines aren’t my forte by any means, but this project was a lot of fun.
Lady Maggie Rue designed favors that will be used by Queen Ariella, and I was asked to convert her design into counted stitch. The full article for how to make the favors can be found at the Æthelmearc Gazette, and my design is below!
One of my not-so-secret works-in-progress is a long-arm cross-stitch heraldic bag for my Pelican, which will be finished in approximately a million years. I’ve learned a lot just from this one project, but I’m going to save my big post on bags and cross-stitch for a later date (and perhaps a class!). For now, I want to share with you the charts I’ve created.
The original bag (seen above) displays French and English arms and is dated to the first half of the 14th century. Examining the bag and counting stitches has lead me to the conclusion that each of these badges is in a 29×34 stitch rectangle. Each shield is surrounded by a 2 stitch wide border (making each shield 27 stitches wide and 32 stitches long at their greatest points). Using the 29×34 framework, I have spent weeks creating badges (mostly specific to AEthelmearc) for anyone who would want to create their own. These were made in MS Paint, with each pixel representing 1 stitch. MS Paint in Windows 7 allows the “View -> Gridlines” feature, which makes counting stitches/pixels much easier.
I’ve blown these up to 800%, but I can create bigger charts and share the originals upon request. There are a couple shown below, but for the rest, click on the link to the album I’ve created on imgur.